Green chile stew
by Ashley M. Biggers pictures by Douglas Merriam
From “Local Dirt” article in the October 2017 situation.
Popular Green Chile Stew
If you want to dress up this hearty stew from Hatch Chile Express, offer bowls of grated cheese, chopped green onions, lime wedges, and tortillas or cornbread along with it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound round steak, cubed
- 1/two pound lean pork, cubed
- one medium onion, chopped
- five medium potatoes, cubed
- one pound Hatch green chile, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- one/two teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- one pinch oregano
- In a huge saucepan, warm vegetable oil in excess of medium heat. Add beef, pork, and onions. Saut right up until meat has browned and onions are tender.
- Include four cups water and potatoes. Cook in excess of medium heat, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Include remaining components. Minimize heat and simmer 15 minutes. Change salt to taste, and serve.