There is practically nothing my Dad loves more than a very good ol’ raisin pie, and this a single measured up to his expectations of what his mom used to make!
Satisfied New Year, absolutely everyone! And to celebrate, here’s a Raisin Pie Recipe! What, you think I’d commence the New 12 months out with celery sticks? Believe once again, my dearest pals, consider again. That’s so not how I roll. If you have a single resolution this yr, make it this:
To add to that, bake a lot more pies, generate far more pies, present more pies and appreciate a lot more pies, pies, PIES! I began my pie kick way back in November. For all the issues I have baked,designed, produced, I haven’t tackled numerous pies. Now don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing greater than pie. Flaky, melt in your mouth crust cradling a beautiful sizzling (or cold) filling, topped with ice cream that slowly melts above it, combining with the luscious elements to make the supreme mouthful of content.
Indeed, I do like pies. I just haven’t genuinely liked baking them that significantly. Pies consider committment, planning and practice. That’s just a complete mouthful or phrases that I usually don’t have time for. But my New Years Resolution is to tackle pies. So 2012 is going to be the yr of Pie Day – Friday to you lay folk.
So I am going to consider to get out as a lot of Satisfied Pie Day posts as I humanly can. If it’s each Friday, then I’m kicking the tires and lighting the fires, Large Daddy. If I miss a Friday, don’t fuss, there are going to be a lot of pies this year. Or how about this: If I don’t attribute my very own pie, I will make confident to attribute someone else’s!
52 pies in 52 weeks. Not always my personal.
I can do that. I like that. No tension! This makes for a happy Magpie. Have you ever witnessed a stressed Magpie? It’s not quite. It involves pecked out eyeballs and shrieks.And on that happy note of pecked out eyeballs, let’s move on to the actual recipe, shall we?
How to Make Raisin Pie
I was really proud of myself and produced three diverse sorts of pies this Christmas. The one that I loved the most was the raisin pie, simply simply because I honestly haven’t had a single that actually jumped out and screamed “I am the wonderful!”.
This one was the amazing. Tons of raisins, excellent thickness ratio and yes, lemon. I extra lemon as an alternative of the usual vinegar. Of program.
3 cups dark/Thompson raisins
3 cups water
three/four cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
one teaspoon ground cinnamon
one/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
one tbsp lemon zest
2 tablespoons of butter
pastry for a 9-9.5 inch double crust deep dish pie (I’ll be getting into crust recipes soon!)
- Making use of a 9 or 9.5 inch deep dish pie pan, line the bottom with the pie pastry. Place it back into the fridge till you are ready to pour in the filling.
- 1st you require to make the raisin filling. Mix the raisins and water in a modest saucepan and boil them for five minutes, getting them nice and soft and plump. Blend the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt with each other then add then into the hot raisin mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until finally the mixture is clear. The cornstarch will be cloudy for a minor whilst then poof! All of a sudden your filling is clear and gorgeous.
- Eliminate from heat, and stir im the lemon juice and zest, followed by the butter. Cool somewhat.
- Time to get out your pie dish. Pour the filling into the pie plate and then cover with best crust. Seal edges, and reduce slits in the best crust, whichever styles you like the greatest. Just make certain there are slits in the best of the pie.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for thirty to 35 minutes right up until it’s gorgeous and browned
- Now, acquiring to know your oven is possibly the most important point I have discovered so far in my foray into the Pie Planet. The reduced racks are the place you want to bake your pie, no matter whether it’s the quite bottom or 2nd from the bottom is something you are going to have to learn from trial and error. The bottom of unbaked pie crusts will not cook appropriately any higher than this, you finish up with a also toasty crust and a soggy bottom.
- On the note of that as well toasty crust, you also will most very likely have to cover the edges of your pie with tinfoil. All my pie crusts darken as well considerably ahead of the whole pie is baked up completely.
Oh, my, was I satisfied with this pie! Contemplating I was into my 3rd day of strep throat and attempting to get Christmas dinner with each other, I was rather proud of myself for tackling this at all.
So Content Pie day absolutely everyone! I can’t feel that Christmas break is over and the youngsters go back to school on Monday. Where did the final two weeks with my fantastic kidlets go? It was a massive blur of sickness on my portion, an wonderful Christmas anyway, followed by superb close friends, family members, guests galore and sadly it’s more than.
I also miss the Christmas music on the radio, am I the only crazy one particular? For some purpose I am possessing the submit Christmas blues, this yr. It may possibly have a great deal to do with the fact that I was horribly unwell with that strep throat from December 21st till Boxing Day, certainly, the very 1st meal I tasted was the prime rib I made that day. Soon after weeks and weeks of preparation I felt a tiny ripped off that I got so run down and sick, correct in time for the massive day. The days have been a haze of antibiotics, ache killers and not tasting a single point I made. Bah. For a residence cook, there’s nothing at all worse!
Fortunately this pie kept so nicely that I was able to get images on Boxing Day and take pleasure in a actual taste of it.
I hope you all have a fantastic weekend! Hug individuals youngsters and get pleasure from these final couple days just before they go back to school!